Do you tend to lose the thread with terms such as sustainable fashion, ethical fashion or eco-responsible fashion? Don't worry, Little Dudes is there to enlighten you!
These different concepts have a very clear common point: a more reasoned fashion which consists in “doing better”. Promote a sustainable and qualitative lifestyle using positive and concrete initiatives.
The birth of sustainable fashion
Component of the Slow Fashion movement, sustainable fashion is a sensitive fashion and attentive to the environmental and societal impact of the clothes that we wear on a daily basis.
It was in the early 1990s that the concept of sustainability in fashion appeared. How ? Thanks to the owners of the "Spirit" and "Patagonia" brands, Yvon Chouinard and Doug Tompkins. Climbing and hiking enthusiasts, they note a strong environmental degradation due to this type of outdoor activities. They then decide to study the most durable materials and fibers to preserve nature.
Beyond an improvement on the products used, they quickly realize the fundamental cause of non-diet: exponential growth and over-consumption. Following this reflection, sustainable fashion gently appears. The two brands adopt recycled and organic materials.
Many brands around the world have followed: mentalities are evolving towards the adoption of responsible raw materials and a requirement for ethics and transparency throughout the chain.
April 24, 2013 is absolute drama. The Rana Plaza building in Bangladesh collapses. 1138 workers who worked for major Western brands in the fashion industry died there, as well as 2,500 injured. The cause: lack of security in the building and pitiful working conditions.
The consumer now has access to realities of which he did not suspect existence and is increasingly wondering about his purchasing behavior. Sustainable fashion then takes a real turning point: Say Hello to the Fashion Revolution!
The global movement Fashion Revolution was born shortly after the Rana Plaza disaster. It is today the largest movement activism movement in the world, mobilizing citizens, industry and political decision -makers.
Fashion Revolution defends a global fashion industry that preserves and restores the environment and favors people rather than growth and profit.
You have surely already had to see photos of your favorite sustainable influencers pass on Instagram with a poster “Who Made My Clothes?”. Fashion Revolution has something to do with it ...
Once a year, on the birthday date of the Rana Plaza disaster, the Fashion Revolution Week is organized around the world. His goal: to remember the lost lives and demand from the fashion industry a real sustainable change.
How to participate? Many ways are possible:
- Send an email to a brand of fast fashion asking for more transparency.
- Post a photo of you with a poster “Who Made My Clothes on social networks?”
- Make a donation to the Fashion Revolution movement.
- Promote eco-responsible brands and/or the second hand.
The work of Fashion Revolution allows real awareness in terms of sustainability, health and ethics with consumers.
Sustainable fashion dico
As we said just above, ethical mode, eco-responsible and sustainable mode are synonyms that offer an alternative to conventional fashion and aim to promote conscious fashion, respectful of man and the environment .
Quality sustainable raw materials (find our blog article on the subject) and more transparency, both in terms of prices and product traceability, that's what we want!
To be a pro of the subject, there are nevertheless certain terms to know absolutely that we find within sustainable fashion. We explain to you:
- Organic fashion: a bit like your food shopping, organic clothing and accessories are exclusively from organic farming.
- Vegan fashion: She defends the animal cause by making clothes and accessories without any animal products.
- Circular fashion: we recycle everything! It advocates an economic model in a closed loop.
Want to know more ? Meet on our site where we have prepared a little recap Labels to scrutinize on the labels of your next clothes. They give you information on environmental requirements or social conditions in which the article has been carried out.
Sustainable fashion costs
Perhaps you wonder why eco-responsible and ethical fashion has a higher cost than fast fashion? Here is a small overview of the costs represented by better production, more conscious and lasting:
- Ensure a salary just for all workers in the production chain to offer them a decent life.
- Sustainable, organic and superior raw materials cost downright expensive (and packaging too!).
- To reduce your carbon footprint you have to go through logistical choices and/or more local sourcing. We say Bye Bye to thousands of kilometers by plane traveled by our clothes!
- We told you about labels a little higher: investing in such certifications represents large sums of money. The labeling remains even inaccessible for certain small creators and independent brands because it is too expensive. The repercussions on selling prices would make their products even more expensive for the end customer.
Remember, the goal is to buy less but better. When you consume sustainable, you think in the long term: it is no longer a question of buying new cheap clothes every season, we opt for quality that will last a long time!
Sustainable fashion at Little Dudes
As you know, at Little Dudes, quality, environmental and societal concerns are at the heart of our project!
Here is the checklist of good practices adopted by brands and creators present on Little Dudes:
- Offer stylish and trendy clothes
- Pay attention to the choices of raw materials, by favoring organic
- Provide transparency and sustainability as to manufacturing processes
- Respect everyone's working conditions
- Say stop on overproduction and overconsumption by producing less but better (you have understood the principle now!)
It is thanks to them that we can offer you to consume in a fair way while being stylish! We unite our strengths with them and together, we build a more sustainable world.
Reducing production and pollution, favoring quality to continue and educate the consumer in the face of overconsumption drifts, this is all the essence of sustainable fashion.
Support sustainable fashion and consume less but better with Little Dudes!